Friday, August 1, 2008

Leaving Larryville

Today is (was) July 31. That means it was my last day to move out of my room in Lawrenceville. I had been chipping away at it or a while, but there was still a decent amount of stuff and some big items like my futon and desk.

Early this morning Jamie came over with me to help me pack up some stuff; especially my computer stuff for The Big Wow, which is tomorrow. Then we unpacked some and packed in some other stuff. We went up to Laurelville (not Larryville) to set up stuff. Despite it just being the two of us and only having an hour we got a whole lot done. Then we came back.

As soon as I was back in Pittsburgh, I got a call from my friend Raymond, who is an almost homeless man that I met on the street. I picked him up and brought him to my place to hang out and help me pack. He didn't really do too much, but did help a bit. I'd notice him practically falling asleep on my futon due to the heat.

Jesse, Jonathan, and Richelle also came to help. Once they go there we began moving the big stuff and Raymond snapped into command. It was pretty funny how assertive he was once everyone was there. We'd just smile at each other as he would tell us how to do things.

All in all the move sucked and was pretty rough. I've also been sweating basically the entire day non-stop. I feel gross.

We moved the stuff to Michael's, which I just finished taking up to my room after having to drop of Raymond and go back to Larryville to clean the room.

On the way back to my old place, while I was stopped at a red light, a man asked me if I knew the area well. I said I know it so so. He was asking about a gas station, and kept talking really fast like he was in a rush and needed gas for his car that ran out. I asked him to get in. He was an African American gentleman. I honestly do get a little nervous, especially with them... but maybe that's because I don't have many white guys coming up to me after 11pm either. Anyway I asked him if he wanted a ride. In my head I did picture him pulling out a guy, but I don't know why. He kept talking fast and anxious. His car ran out of gas and the cops gave him 30 minutes to move it. He kept validating himself as not a bad guy by saying things like "I'm wearing a $100 shirt" and "I never need to ask anyone for help" and thanking me for "being human."

I forget the man's name. It was a little rushed. Anyway he told me that he does car interior work, and made it sound like he'd be willing to pimp my ride for helping him. He kept saying that if I ever go to his shop that I can't tell the guys there cause he'd never hear the end of it. He also said he just moved to Monroeville 3 days ago... or maybe from Monroeville... yeah that probably makes more sense. We got to the gas station and he needed money because they require a deposit on the cannister and then money for gas. He took $25. I didn't know if I wanted to give him that much, but it happened quick, and he promised he'd pay me back double and this and that. I gave him my card and such. I hope he does get back to me because I only was left with a few dollars after that. Also, I'd like to get to know him a little more. I enjoy making diverse friends. I find in building relationships and helping people, that they intern will bless you back. Lately I feel I depend on those blessings, and I think that's a good thing.

It's been so neat overcoming fear and meeting people, even in situations that might seem compromising to some. I like offering rides. You never know who you will meet that way. I've met homeless people, Christians, a car interior guy, a college cook, etc. It makes me sad that there are people out there who have to corrupt the notion of offering a ride with violence. I suppose overcoming fear adds another dimension to the experience for me, but honestly I wish I didn't have to feel brave doing it... because I'm not brave. I'm just trying to be obedient and trying to "be human."

4 comments:

Nash Garret said...

If you continue to pick up guys like this you are going to end up either broke or dead or both. This guy snowed you big time; one of the oldest cons in the book. If you get your $25.00 back I will buy you lunch.

Nash Garret said...

By the way; the "talking really fast" part is part of the con...this is done so that you have less time to think and you become more prone to act on impulse--just like you did.

KB said...

steve, you can't just pick up strangers on the side of the road. i'm glad you didn't die and were able to blog about it.

ps. subscribe to my blog.

Anonymous said...

Dude this story reminds me of what i did the other night. I was driving home from Bridgeville at like 1:30 in the morning and there was a hitchhiker right down on noblestown road about a minute from my house. Out of instinct i stopped and i let this 50 ish lady jump in. She also talked really fast and said she walked from oakdale and no one had stopped. She seemed strange but it worked out. I was also very nervous since i'm not used to these kind of things. She offered me money and stuff but i told her not to worry about it. I think these things are good because not many people do them. I think its worth the risk to go out of our way and out of our comfort zone to help someone. If it was us in their position we would want the same.